Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

We have compiled a list of commonly asked questions and grouped them into categories. Please review the questions and answers below and you might learn something new!

Still have questions? Do not hesitate in emailing us at or contacting us by phone at (954) 262 - 2031. 

How long has College of Computing and Engineering been awarding graduate degrees and online graduate degrees?

NSU's College of Computing and Engineering has been awarding graduate degrees since 1984. The College of Computing and Engineering pioneered graduate online education and has been offering online degree programs and programs with an online component since 1985.

The M.S. in computer science has been offered on campus since 1989 and in online format since 1994. The M.S. in management information systems has been offered on campus since 1993 and in online format since 1994.

The Ph.D. in information systems has been offered in combined on-campus and online format since 1985. The doctoral program in computer science has been offered on-campus since 1989 and in combined on-campus and online format since 1997. The doctoral program in information assurance has been offered in combined on-campus and online format since 2014.

What accreditation does College of Computing and Engineering possess?

Nova Southeastern University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate’s, baccalaureate, master’s, educational specialist, doctoral, and professional degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Nova Southeastern University, may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website ( The College of Computing and Engineering is a department within Nova Southeastern University and therefore has to maintain the same accreditation standards. For more information on NSU's accreditation please visit:

What is the reputation of Nova Southeastern University?

U.S. News and World Report ranked NSU within their 2019 list of top 200 "Best Colleges." NSU is officially ranked at #191 for national universities. 

NSU is designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education by the U.S. National Security Agency and Homeland Security.

NSU is ranked No. 1 in the first professional degrees awarded to Hispanics, according to The Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education.

What are the qualifications of the faculty?

All faculty members are more than distinguished, they make us proud. They are active in teaching, research, scholarship, and the supervision of doctoral dissertations. Faculty members regularly publish their work and present it at professional conferences. Their collective areas of expertise cover the entire spectrum of the school's disciplines. Many of the faculty members, in addition to academic qualifications, also have many years of applied professional experience. Faculty degrees and areas of academic interest are included in the College of Computing and Engineering web site Faculty Directory.

Where is College of Computing and Engineering located?

The College of Computing and Engineering is located on the fourth floor in the Carl DeSantis building (#8) on the main campus of Nova Southeastern University. Visit our maps page.

Where are some of the graduates working now?

Graduates work at major organizations such as Boeing, IBM, Merrill Lynch, Motorola, Siemens, and various United States government agencies, as well as at colleges and universities around the globe in faculty and administrative positions.

What does the NSU diploma state?

The diplomas state the degree and major earned with the date. It does not indicate online.

When are the application deadlines?

There are no application deadlines. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis. To ensure evaluation for the desired starting term, applications and all required documents must be ready for review at least one month prior to the start of the term for master's applications and at least two months prior to the start of the term for doctoral applications. Late applications that cannot be processed in time for the desired starting term will be considered for the next available term. Admissions

What are the tuition and fees for the graduate programs?

Visit our Tuition page

Is financial assistance, scholarships, grants or VA benefits available?

If you are applying for federal aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The fastest and easiest way to apply is online through the FAFSA web site at

It is important to include the NSU school code-001509 and complete this year's application. You can apply early for Financial Aid. You must be fully accepted and registered for classes with the minimum number of credits required for the specific type of aid before any financial aid funds will be disbursed.

For information regarding Federal Loan Programs for Graduate & Professional Students, please visit:

For Information regarding Scholarships, please visit:

Is campus attendance required?

Master's Degree Students:

On-campus master's students attend evening classes, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. (ET), on the main campus in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Online master's students are not required to come to campus.

Doctoral Degree Students:

The college offers Ph.D. programs with a blend of on-campus and online activities. The face to face on-campus sessions are held once a term over Wednesday to Friday at the Fort Lauderdale /Davie Campus. Students are required to attend all of their scheduled class sessions. Between sessions, students work on course assignments and research, and participate in online activities that facilitate frequent interaction with the faculty and with other students. 

Are the courses asynchronous? 

Asynchronous learning allows you to learn on your own schedule, within a certain timeframe. Our online courses are asynchronous, designed to accommodate students from many different time zones. It is recommended to log on to Canvas in your SharkLink Portal every day. Any on-campus formats require specific dates and time of attendance. 

How do the online courses work?

The current online learning management system at NSU is Canvas

Are there any research assistantships available?

Currently, there are none available.

How can I submit my application fee payment?

You will be required to submit payment at the end of your online application process. Without payment, your application is incomplete and is not considered submitted.

Is it possible to apply to the program while still completing my degree requirements?

Yes. You may start your application process with a transcript showing your last semester in progress. You will be required to submit a letter from the institution stating you are in good academic standing and your expected graduation date. If the admissions committee admits you into the program, it will be under a provisional status. This status will only allow you to register for one semester and prohibit you from obtaining financial aid until the final official transcript has been received. On the other hand, the committee members may not be able to make a final decision on your file until they view your final official transcript.

What if I do not meet the GPA requirement?

The GPA required for the master's program is at least a 2.5 and the GPA required for the doctoral program is at least a 3.2. If you do not meet the minimum required GPA, the admissions committee requests that you submit a supplemental letter explaining why the low GPA does not reflect your potential for success in the program. You can also submit recommendation letters from people in a position to comment on your career promise and outlook. The decision to apply knowing that GPA requirements are not met rests with the applicant.

Do I need to submit the GRE?

There is no requirement to submit the GRE score. You may submit standardized test scores or any additional documentation to strengthen your application.

How difficult is it to get admission into a program?

We strive to identify future students with tremendous professional outlook. Our admission process takes into consideration both professional and academic accomplishments. Admission is competitive; consequently, applicants who meet the minimum requirements specified herein are not assured admission. There is no formula, yardstick or scoring, the college qualitatively and quantitatively evaluates applicants and makes selections based on performance, personal qualifications, and evidence of potential for success.

For the doctoral programs, capacity is also an issue. Thus doctoral applicants are encouraged to submit application materials earlier to maximize the chance of acceptance to the desired term of entry.

What is the transfer of credit policy?

Master's: A maximum of six credit hours of graduate-level work will be considered for transfer if (1) the graduate credit was earned within five calendar years of course completion, (2) the credit was earned from a regionally accredited university, (3) the content of the courses requested for transfer is equivalent to an NSU course in the program of study (4) the courses were not used toward a prior awarded degree, and (5) a grade equivalent to B or higher in each of the courses requested for transfer. A grade of P (Pass) of CR (Credit) or other such grade will not be accepted. Upon admission into one of the master’s degree programs, the student may request approval of transfer of credits in writing to an academic advisor. Official transcripts are required to process requests for transfer credits. 

Doctoral: Our doctoral program does not accept any transfer of credits for coursework or experience.

Where can I find more information about requirements for international students?

Additional Admission Requirements for International Master's Students: /admissions/apply_masters

Additional Admission Requirements for International Doctoral Students: /admissions/apply_doctoral

What is the English proficiency requirement?

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate English proficiency. The following standardized tests satisfy the university's English requirement for nonnative English speakers. Official test results must be sent directly from the testing agency to Nova Southeastern University.

How can I get the English proficiency requirement waived or be admitted conditionally?

You cannot be admitted conditionally without satisfying this requirement. The only exemptions to the policy are as follows:

  • Successful completion of at least a bachelor's degree at a regionally-accredited U.S. institution of higher education.
  • Passing Level 9 at Talk International Language School.
  • Completion of a degree at an institution in one of the following countries: Australia, English speaking Canada, Ghana, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.

How can I find out the status of my application?

You will receive friendly reminders from the Office of Admissions with updates on your application. 

We also recommend to log back into your account to keep track of your application progress at Once logged back in, click to view the supplemental items list. You can see what has been received, specific instructions, and upload certain documents directly into your account. 

Lastly, you can call or email the Office of Admissions for a status update:
954-262-2031 or 800-986-2247 x. 22031

How long does it take to have my file reviewed?

Master's: Decisions are usually made within one to two weeks. You will be notified by email as soon as a decision has been made. 

Doctoral: Decisions are usually made within one to two months. There is no formal timetable or timeframe for the decision process. You will be notified by email as soon as a decision has been made.

How will I find out if I have been accepted or denied admission?

You will receive notification of your decision via email with an attached PDF of your decision letter.

Can I get admitted as a provisional student?

Yes, mostly in cases of missing official transcripts. Applicants are provisionally admitted based on a review of unofficial transcripts and/or unofficial test scores. This initial status of provisional admission allows students to register for one term only (the term of acceptance). All final and official documents and requirements must be received within 90 calendar days from the start of the term. If these final and official documents and/or requirements are not received by that time, the student will not be allowed to continue class attendance. Financial aid will not be disbursed to a provisional student until he or she has been fully admitted as a regular student (all admission requirements have been approved by the Office of Admissions).

Can I defer my acceptance until a later time?

Newly admitted students must begin the program in the term to which they were admitted. An appeal to defer matriculation may be requested one-time only. Appeals for deferment must be submitted to the Admissions Office within one year from the term of acceptance. For students who do not begin the program per their offer of admission or deferment, the offer is withdrawn within one year from the term of acceptance; subsequent enrollment will require a new application. 

Why was I denied?

Admission to our graduate programs is competitive. Consequently, applicants who meet the minimum requirements are not assured admission. If you have more questions about your application, please contact the Director of Admissions

How do I reapply if my application has been denied?

We recommend to apply again only if circumstances in your life change that possibly would add additional value to your application packet. You will need to re-submit all your applications documents, except your official transcripts on file. You should supply any additional information you can to strengthen your application.

I am in international student, who has been accepted, when will I receive my I-20?

Once you have gained full acceptance to our graduate program, the Office of International Affairs will be able to process your I-20. For further information about your I-20 and obtaining a visa, please visit or contact the Office of International Students.

Return to top of page NSU_Virtual_Assistant_Prod

NSU Virtual Assistant